Key Things You Need To Know About Using a Hot Tub With an Ostomy
This is my hot tub. I went almost 10 months after I received my ostomy before I decided I would try entering my hot tub with my ostomy.
Why you ask yourself, would I wait so long? Well, I had my reasons. Here are my reasons.
My Ostomy Hot Tub Fears
- My biggest fear was that the ostomy bag would come off in the hot tub. I just didn’t need to deal with that I thought.
- I thought the heat would destroy the wafer’s seal and the ostomy bag would come loose.
- I knew the water would ruin the bag and the wafer I was using. This would cost me another bag. I figured out the cost of another set(one bag & one wafer) and what the cost in $ and Cents was going to be for me.
- It would be embarrassing to have to go through the mess it would create. So my trying to use the hot tub would create a mess that I would have to clean up. No Thanks!
Nothing Bad Happened??
So I went ahead and tried it one day, and guess what, it was fine.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
I knew I had a good seal with my wafer, and everything was fine.
The only thing that happened was that I enjoyed myself. Go Figure!
Other Ostomy Hot Tub Findings
My report is: As we heated up the water, around 98 degrees to 102 degrees, (pretty warm I think) the seal remained good. No leakage and no sign of anything melting, or the bag, the seal held up fine.
The doctor and a couple of nurses had encouraged me to go swimming, it should be fine they said, and the exercise will be good for you. I wouldn’t go swimming because that would be a public confirmation but my hot tub I could use that in the privacy of my own home.
So What Did Happen
- I got to relax and enjoy the water again. Ahhh Yes!!!
- I enjoyed time with my wife that we hadn’t had in some time.
- The wave action didn’t do anything but make my pouch float around in the water. At first it was embarrassing, but my wife wasn’t bothered by it. The conversation, relaxing and time were more important.
- I did notice the warm water did take a little bit of life out of the wafer and pouch but it didn’t cause a need that same day to change the set then. Probably a great idea to do the hot tub in either day 3 or 4 of the equipment change cycle.
Most of My Fears Were Irrational
In looking back on my first experiences of using my hot tub after receiving an ostomy, I realized that most of my fears were unfounded.
The worst that has happened was that I needed to change out my bag and wafer a day earlier because they were getting that used look (Looking rattier) quicker that they would have without using the hot tub.
I realized that most of my fears concerning my ostomy where unfounded in the midst of the lack of knowledge about the truth of having an ostomy.
There is freedom in being armed with good information. I had blown it up to unrealistic things happening and they were 95% bad. So yes It didn’t happen, but what did happen we can take a look at.
Bag & Wafer Change: Information on a Need To Know Basis
It is important for you that you would know about this (the cycle). The date when you are scheduled for changing the ostomy bag.
This will allow you a better control and better cost efficiency of using the ostomy supplies.
So this is something I wanted to give you a heads up on.
Read More About Ostomy Cleansing Care-View Related Posts Below
Showering & bathing with an ostomy is an unknown area that an ostomy owner needs to get answers about. I detail my experiences showering and bathing with my ostomy.
How do I bathe with an ostomy is my detailed instructions on how to prepare and clean yourself when bathing or showering with your Ostomy. Two choices are discussed.